Friday, July 24, 2009
Using what's in the pantry: Canned Pumpkin
I have had a big can of pumpkin in the cabinet for while now. So I thought about pumpkin muffins, but then decided why not make Pumpkin Pie? So I did! I made a mix for two pies but decided to only bake one right then. I was going to bake the other one later. This turned out to be a very good thing and I will explain why.
Since my daughter has been begging to help me in the kitchen I decided to let her help. Then the boys kept coming in and out of the kitchen and I was a bit stressed. The kitchen is kind of my zone and the more people in an out of it while I'm cooking just stresses me out.
We did finally get the one pie in the oven. However, while it was baking I remembered I never put the sugar in it! When it was done I tasted it and it's amazing what that sugar does for pie! LOL
I was really disappointed but then added sugar to the next batch of mix and baked it up Tuesday night. It turned out very yummy!
I'm trying to get over being stressed out so easily in the kitchen because I want the kids to have memories of us in the kitchen together. They'll definitely remember this one. LOL
Sorry for the hole in the pie in the middle. It's from where I checked to see if it was done.
Libby's® Famous Pumpkin Pie
* 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 2 eggs
* 1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)
This is being shared at Flavor of the Month.