Skip to main content

Birria de Res Consome and Birria Tacos



Birria de Res Consome
Ingredients:
Chuck roast (mine was probably about 3-4 pounds, you can use whatever size you need, just make sure your pot is big enough to hold everything)
Beef bone (I used three 2-3 inch pieces)
2 medium onions (peeled and halved)
1 whole head of garlic (separate the cloves and remove skin)
10 carrots (peeled, chunked and halved)
12 dried chiles- take off stems, empty out all of the seeds and rinse (I used California chiles)
8 bay leaves
3 tbsp of chicken bouillon (I used better than bouillon paste)
Oil for searing

Possible toppings for the consume:
Cilantro and diced white onions
Thin sliced radishes
Lime
Chili oil (recipe below)

Heat a large saucepot (I used an 8qt) on medium heat and add a bit of oil. I used maybe a couple of tbsps. Once your pan is heated, sear your chuck roast on both sides, then remove from the pot. Next, sear your bones as well. Remove from the heat and add your roast back in, onions, garlic, carrots, dried chiles, and bouillon. You will need to add about 16-18 cups of water. This will depend on your pot size. I probably left about 2-3 inches of space to the top of the pot. Bring pot to a boil over medium heat and boil for 1-1.5 hours.

After 1-1.5 hours, take a skimmer and skim the impurities from the top of your pot, so that you will have a nice broth with clarity. Continue to skim as you see impurities rise throughout the cooking time. Remove chiles, what garlic and onions you can find and blend together in a blender with a bit of the broth. Be careful since you are dealing with hot items. Pour this mixture back in to the pot and make sure to get every bit out of the blender. You can add more broth and swish it around to get every last drop out.

Cover with a lid and simmer for another 2-3 hours. Check after 2 hours to see if your roast is falling apart tender. If not, let it continue to cook. Basically, you are cooking it long enough for the roast to be super tender.

Check your seasonings at this point by tasting the consome. If it needs salt, go ahead and add it. I try to watch my sodium, so I didn’t add any salt since the bouillon has quite a bit in it. Continue to check the water level as you are cooking, and add water as needed.

Once your roast is tender, remove it from the pot and shred your beef. I remove all of the fat, but that is up to you. In a bowl, add some of your consume, a bit of shredded beef and whatever toppings you desire. And enjoy!


Want to make it even better? Make Birria Tacos too!

Birria Tacos
Ingredients:
Corn tortillas
Shredded cheese of your choice (I used Queso Quesadilla shredded cheese. That was amazing in it. I think mozzarella would be another one that would work)
Chopped cilantro and diced white onion
Chili oil
Shredded birria meat

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. I fluctuated between a 4 and 5 on my stove. Pour the chili oil in a wide bowl or container. Just use enough to coat the bottom of the container. You will be dredging the corn tortilla in the oil so just make sure the bowl or item you use will work for that. A plate would probably work. I used a wide, shallow bowl. Use a pair of tongs and grab one of the corn tortillas. Dunk the tortilla into the consume in the pot, then dredge it (both sides) in the chili oil. Then lay it in the skillet. It should sizzle if your skillet is warm enough.
Top one side of the tortilla with a bit of cheese, meat, onion and cilantro and then another bit of cheese.
Fold the empty side of the tortilla over on top the full side. Cook that side until crisp, then flip and cook the other side. Repeat for however many tacos you would like to make and serve with the consome and desired toppings. So delicious!


Chili Oil
I am still refining this recipe, but this is what I did this time. It is based on the Views Birria Chili Oil, but I made a couple of changes due to not having powdered bouillon and I don’t care for the taste of cloves very much. You can view her original recipe in the link I provide to their YouTube Video.

Chili Oil
Ingredients:
½ cup of oil (I used canola)
2 dried chiles or 1.5 tbsp of guajillo chili powder (I used New Mexico chiles. These need to be crisp, not soft. You can dry them out in a 250-degree oven is they are soft)
1 bay leaf
½ tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp sugar
¼ tsp of salt
1 tsp garlic powder

If you are using dried chiles, break them up and place in a coffee grinder along with the bay leaf. Process until powdered. Heat oil in a sauce pan to 290-300 degrees. Remove from heat and add all of the ingredients to the oil. Stir until well combined. Let cool and pour into a container with a lid.

This dish was so very good. I hope you make it for your family soon. It is so easy, but it does take time. We’ve been enjoying the leftovers as well.

This was completely inspired by Views On The Road's video on YouTube for Birria de Res Consome and Birria Quesa Tacos. They have a great channel and make so many yummy looking things! I highly recommend you check them out. Plus if you’ve never made this, it’s helpful to watch the video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duggar Family Tater Tot Casserole

Nov. 2020 update: Hi all! I am updating this recipe as it has changed for us over the years. Also, I am featuring it over on my new YouTube Channel Faith, Food and Family ! Make sure to check that What's for Dinner video out. Updated recipe: Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients: 1 pound of ground beef, cooked 1 32 oz bag of tater tots 1 cup of milk 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (you can use a mix or chicken and mushroom, chicken and celery, or whatever combo you like) 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (I usually use cheddar or triple cheddar) Preheat your overn to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the 2 cans of cream of chicken soups and the milk. In a 9x13 pan, spread cooked hamburger meat evenly on the bottom. Pour tater tots on top and distribute evenly. Pour soup/milk mixture on top and bake for about an hour. When it is hot and bubbly, remove from oven and add shredded cheese. you can use more that a cup if you like. Place back in the oven for about 5 mi

Salt-Free Ranch Dressing Mix

I don't know about you but I really enjoy ranch dressing. The stuff in the bottle is okay, but if you look at the ingredients it contains some not so good stuff like MSG and added sugar. It also has a lot of added sodium. I'm trying to watch my sodium so I decided to make a salt-free ranch mix, then I can control the salt whenever I make the dressing or add it to a recipe. It's super easy to make your own ranch mix. If you make a batch of this up, you can have it already on hand to make ranch dressing or add it into other recipes. Let's get started! Salt-free Ranch Dressing Mix Ingredients: 4 Tbsp of dried parsley 4 tsp of dried dill 4 tsp of onion powder 4 tsp of minced dried onion 2 tsp of garlic powder 1 tsp of ground black pepper Combine the spices in a bowl and from here you can process them for a bit in a mini food processor to mix well and make some of the parsley smaller or you can use a coffee grinder as a spice grinder. Then place in a contai

A Civil War Recipe..... Oatmeal Pie

Princess came home with an assignment to to a Civil War project. There were several options but she and I always gravitate to the ones that involve cooking. So we chose to make a recipe from the Civil War time to share with her class. Can I just say how grateful I am for the internet when it comes to these school projects? We looked online and found many different recipes. I wanted one that used ingredients I already had on hand and hopefully one that would be a bit tasty. I finally found a forum where people were sharing Civil War recipes and someone had shared one for Oatmeal Pie from Charleston, South Carolina. Apparently, during the Civil War, pecans were in short supply. So oatmeal was subbed for pecans to make a sort of mock pecan pie. This recipe is very tasty and really easy. It does remind me of a pecan pie, but at the same time a little reminiscent of an apple crisp because of the oatmeal and the cinnamon. Very delicious! I'm hoping her class really enjoys it. She said th