My friend, Wendy, asked me to come over yesterday and bake a couple of pies with her. She wanted to try a new recipe and asked me to join her. It was a lot of fun. I love baking and cooking with friends.
First we made homemade pie crusts. I had never made one before so it was a nice learning experience. We used a different recipe than the one with the pie recipe and I will share it at a later date. I am going to try to do a step by step tutorial at some point.
She found the pie recipe in the Hershey's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook. It looked very yummy and interesting in the picture and it was hard to tell for sure what the texture of this cake was going to be. We were very surprised when it forms a cake like top and then a fudgy filling on the bottom. It reverses during baking. I always think recipes that do that are so neat!
This is delicious and I highly recommend that you try this recipe! It was so good and definitely different!
* PASTRY CRUST(recipe follows)
* 2/3 cup plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
* 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 1 cup water
* 1/3 cup butter or margarine
* 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup shortening
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup chopped nuts
* SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM(recipe follows)
1. Prepare PASTRY CRUST. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Stir together 2/3 cup sugar and cocoa in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; add butter and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, stirring until butter is melted. Set aside.
3. Stir together flour, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in small bowl; add shortening, milk and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Add egg; beat 2 minutes. Spoon batter into prepared crust. Stir chocolate mixture; gently pour over batter. Sprinkle nuts over top.
4. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool slightly; serve warm with SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM. 8 servings.
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
3 tablespoons cold water
Stir together flour, salt and baking powder in medim bowl. Cut in shortening until pieces are size of small peas; sprinkle in water, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened. Roll dough into circle about 1/8 inch thick. Fit into 9-inch pie plate; flute edge.
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM: Combine 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl; beat until stiff.
This recipe definitely Works for Me! This is also being share at Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap.