Friday, October 9, 2009

Beef Pot Roast with Maple Sweet Potatoes & Cider Gravy

This looked so tasty on Cooking During Stolen Moments that I just had to make it. I decided to do it in the crockpot instead. This seemed like a perfect meal to do in the crockpot.

You can view the recipe here.

Here's what I did to change it to a crockpot meal.

I used the chuck roast that I got from Food Lion. I seared both sides and then placed it in the crockpot. I added the cut sweet potatoes on top of the roast and around the sides.



In the pan, I added the salt, pepper and some italian seasoning (because I was out of thyme) and the chopped onions to the pan. I sauteed those until tender.




I added the broth and apple cider and let that cook for a couple of minutes, making sure to get up all of the bits on the bottom of the pan.

Then I poured this on top of the potatoes and roast in the crockpot.




I cooked it on high for about 5 hours and then turned it down to low for about 2 more hours. It turned out perfect.

I made the sweet potatoes (I started to use a potato masher but then switched to a hand mixer). And made the gravy. Then..... Dinner is served! :)




The verdict: I really enjoyed it. I liked the different flavors of savory and sweet. I rarely make any sweet/savory dishes like that and I was really happy with how it turned out. I served it with green beans. I highly encourage you to try this recipe! Plus doing it in the crockpot made it so easy! It cooked all day and then all I had to do was mash the potatoes, make the gravy (which you couldn't get any simpler on!) and heat up some green beans. Super easy!


Happy Eating!

1 comment:

ButterYum said...

Looks fabulous! I love the crock pot, especially on busy days.

:)
ButterYum