Skip to main content

Did you know and a few random things

Thank you all for your comments yesterday! I haven't had a chance to reply to emails/comments since we were gone to Nashville most of yesterday. Hopefully I will get to spend a little time catching up soon! Just know that any email or comment means so much to me!

Yesterday Monkey had his appointment in Nashville. Everything looked good and he goes back in 6 months.

My mother-in-law had wanted to come with us and take the kids to Chuck E Cheese's but didn't feel well. She decided to send the kids money to go. The kids always enjoy it. We don't have one in the town where we live so it's a rare treat for them to get to go.

Did you know, that if you buy the kids cups they sell there (the reusable plastic ones), you can bring them back and use them again and not have to pay for your drink the next time? We now have enough cups for each of us to have one. So yesterday when we went, we didn't have to pay for any drinks. That is a huge money saver!

Also, you can sign up to receive coupons on their website. I think they usually send them once a month. Another way to save if you enjoy going.



I read The Happy Housewife's review on Julie and Julia today. I really want to see this but I've also seen the previews for The Time Traveler's Wife and really want to see it. I'm a sucker for a good romantic "chick flick". Well, the other day my husband asks me if I can find someone to watch the kids and we can go see The Time Traveler's Wife. I was so impressed that he asked me without me having to ask. We'll go to a matinee to save money. We haven't been to the movies in a long time and haven't had a date in a long time either. So hopefully things will work out so that we can go. So since we can only go to one, I think I'll go to the Time Traveler's Wife. I'll catch Julie and Julia at the Redbox.

I'll get to go grocery shopping this weekend! Yay! So I should have some new yummy recipes to post this week. I have several new recipes I'd like to try. I'm hoping to go back to menu planning this week. It really does help and I did it for awhile. I need to start getting back to it.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend! School starts back for us on Monday. I'm not really ready to send the kids back. I sure will miss having them here! Monkey will still be here. He won't start until next year. Kids just grow up too fast!

God bless,
Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duggar Family Tater Tot Casserole

Nov. 2020 update: Hi all! I am updating this recipe as it has changed for us over the years. Also, I am featuring it over on my new YouTube Channel Faith, Food and Family ! Make sure to check that What's for Dinner video out. Updated recipe: Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients: 1 pound of ground beef, cooked 1 32 oz bag of tater tots 1 cup of milk 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (you can use a mix or chicken and mushroom, chicken and celery, or whatever combo you like) 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (I usually use cheddar or triple cheddar) Preheat your overn to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the 2 cans of cream of chicken soups and the milk. In a 9x13 pan, spread cooked hamburger meat evenly on the bottom. Pour tater tots on top and distribute evenly. Pour soup/milk mixture on top and bake for about an hour. When it is hot and bubbly, remove from oven and add shredded cheese. you can use more that a cup if you like. Place back in the oven for about 5 mi

Salt-Free Ranch Dressing Mix

I don't know about you but I really enjoy ranch dressing. The stuff in the bottle is okay, but if you look at the ingredients it contains some not so good stuff like MSG and added sugar. It also has a lot of added sodium. I'm trying to watch my sodium so I decided to make a salt-free ranch mix, then I can control the salt whenever I make the dressing or add it to a recipe. It's super easy to make your own ranch mix. If you make a batch of this up, you can have it already on hand to make ranch dressing or add it into other recipes. Let's get started! Salt-free Ranch Dressing Mix Ingredients: 4 Tbsp of dried parsley 4 tsp of dried dill 4 tsp of onion powder 4 tsp of minced dried onion 2 tsp of garlic powder 1 tsp of ground black pepper Combine the spices in a bowl and from here you can process them for a bit in a mini food processor to mix well and make some of the parsley smaller or you can use a coffee grinder as a spice grinder. Then place in a contai

A Civil War Recipe..... Oatmeal Pie

Princess came home with an assignment to to a Civil War project. There were several options but she and I always gravitate to the ones that involve cooking. So we chose to make a recipe from the Civil War time to share with her class. Can I just say how grateful I am for the internet when it comes to these school projects? We looked online and found many different recipes. I wanted one that used ingredients I already had on hand and hopefully one that would be a bit tasty. I finally found a forum where people were sharing Civil War recipes and someone had shared one for Oatmeal Pie from Charleston, South Carolina. Apparently, during the Civil War, pecans were in short supply. So oatmeal was subbed for pecans to make a sort of mock pecan pie. This recipe is very tasty and really easy. It does remind me of a pecan pie, but at the same time a little reminiscent of an apple crisp because of the oatmeal and the cinnamon. Very delicious! I'm hoping her class really enjoys it. She said th