Skip to main content

'Ohana Night

One of our favorite meals at Disney World last year was 'Ohana. It was at the Polynesian Resort and it was very yummy. We had a wonderful seat right next to the window that night and had a great view of the nightly fireworks. It was really awesome. So we decided to recreate that meal at home.



First up we have Terryaki Chicken and steak tips. Now at 'Ohana, they serve everything off these skewers and everything is grilled but we don't have a grill right now. I cooked the chicken in the oven with bottled marinade on it. They don't have terryiaki chicken but I thought since we weren't grilling it would add additional flavor. For the steak tips, I put a little oil in the pan and dry the tips, then flip them over. I let them cook for a bit and then I add about a cup of beef stock and let them simmer until the liquid has evaporated. I used eye of round because it was on sale and it turned out very tender!



Next up is the Pork Fried Wontons. They were so yummy! It was my first time making wontons. It is a more lenghty process but they end result was very yummy! We could hardly stop eating them!

Here's the recipe for those. I didn't use the scallions or the water chestnuts. I used more like a teaspoon of filling on each. So I had a bit of meat leftover. I used my Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven to fry in and I think that helped hold heat well. I fried anywhere between 6-9 at a time.

Fried Pork Dumplings

Ingredients
12 1/3 ounces ground pork
3 green onions, sliced thinly (scallions)
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
5 water chestnuts, chopped (optional)
1 egg, well beaten
45 wonton wrappers
oil (enough to deep fry the dumplings)


Directions
Place the pork mince, green onions, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water chestnuts and egg into a bowl. Stir until combined.

Lay a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and brush a little water around the edge of the wrapper.

Place 2 teaspoons of the pork mixture in the middle of the wrapper. Fold over to enclose the filling in a trangle shape and pinch the edges together to seal. Repeat with the remaining mixture and wonton wrappers.

NOTE:Make sure you pinch the dumplings well.
If air is in the wrapper, when they are deep fried, they will open up.
Heat the oil in a pan, and deep fry the dumpling till golden brown (NOTE: Do not put too many in at once, the heat of the oil will drop too drastically).



'Ohana serves a Peanut Sauce so I found a recipe online for that. This sauce was very yummy! Even my husband loved it and he's very picky. We served it with the Won Tons. I made half a recipe.

Peanut Dipping Sauce
'Ohana Polynesian Resort

Yield: 2 quarts

Ingredients

1 oz. garlic in oil
1 teaspoon Thai curry paste
16 oz. soy sauce
1 1/4 lbs. sugar
14 oz. peanut butter
1 oz. fresh ginger, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste
chopped green onions & peanuts for garnish

Method:

1. In a medium saucepan, lightly saute' garlic in a small amount of oil.
Stir in curry paste. Add soy sauce and bring to a simmer.

2. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and
continue to stir. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Remove from heat and chill.

4. Serve in bowls for dipping garnished with chopped green onions and
peanuts.



Then I made Stir Fried Noodles. I ended up just adding broccoli to these. I also forgot to get pineapple so I left that off. They were really yummy. I used a yellow pepper because I like them better and subbed linguine for the udon noodles. These were yummy as well.

Stir Fried Noodles
'Ohana Polynesian Resort
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon each, puréed: garlic and ginger
1/4 cup each, julienned: red pepper and pineapple
2 cups cooked udon noodles
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chopped roasted peanuts

Peanut sauce
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2-inch piece ginger, peeled
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup each: soy sauce, sugar and water
1/8 cup diced Spanish onion
1 tablespoon chopped peanuts

Method of Preparation:
1. For sauce, put ingredients in pan. Bring to boil, stirring. Turn heat to simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour in blender. Pulse until smooth.

2. For noodles, heat canola oil in wok. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper and pineapple. Stir-fry until red peppers are tender but still firm. Season with salt and pepper. Add noodles. Stir-fry until noodles are heated. Add 1/2 cup peanut sauce to glaze ingredients. Garnish with nuts.


We also made a box of mac'n'cheese for our youngest just in case he wouldn't eat the other things. My husband also requested Hawaiian Rolls for our dinner so I got those. He even arranged some white christmas lights on the wall so that we could dine in the dark with some "candle" light. It was really fun and we had a great time! I think we'll have to do another themed night sometime.


Here's a picture of everything on the table. We used our folding table to kep the food on to give us more room at the dining room table. Sorry for so much foil in the picture but we had to keep everything covered while other things were cooking to keep them warm.




Here we are about to enjoy our meal! We took two pictures so that my husband and I could both be in a picture.

If you want to create your own Disney themed night, I highly recommend checking out AllEars.net's Disney Recipe page.


Happy Eating!
God bless,
Amanda

Comments

Jena said…
Sounds very neat and delicious (I'm wiping the drool off my chin now)!!!!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for the recipe. The dumplings are terrific, my daughter said she likes them even better then ohana's :)

Popular posts from this blog

Duggar Family Tater Tot Casserole

Nov. 2020 update: Hi all! I am updating this recipe as it has changed for us over the years. Also, I am featuring it over on my new YouTube Channel Faith, Food and Family ! Make sure to check that What's for Dinner video out. Updated recipe: Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients: 1 pound of ground beef, cooked 1 32 oz bag of tater tots 1 cup of milk 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (you can use a mix or chicken and mushroom, chicken and celery, or whatever combo you like) 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (I usually use cheddar or triple cheddar) Preheat your overn to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the 2 cans of cream of chicken soups and the milk. In a 9x13 pan, spread cooked hamburger meat evenly on the bottom. Pour tater tots on top and distribute evenly. Pour soup/milk mixture on top and bake for about an hour. When it is hot and bubbly, remove from oven and add shredded cheese. you can use more that a cup if you like. Place back in the oven for about 5 mi

Salt-Free Ranch Dressing Mix

I don't know about you but I really enjoy ranch dressing. The stuff in the bottle is okay, but if you look at the ingredients it contains some not so good stuff like MSG and added sugar. It also has a lot of added sodium. I'm trying to watch my sodium so I decided to make a salt-free ranch mix, then I can control the salt whenever I make the dressing or add it to a recipe. It's super easy to make your own ranch mix. If you make a batch of this up, you can have it already on hand to make ranch dressing or add it into other recipes. Let's get started! Salt-free Ranch Dressing Mix Ingredients: 4 Tbsp of dried parsley 4 tsp of dried dill 4 tsp of onion powder 4 tsp of minced dried onion 2 tsp of garlic powder 1 tsp of ground black pepper Combine the spices in a bowl and from here you can process them for a bit in a mini food processor to mix well and make some of the parsley smaller or you can use a coffee grinder as a spice grinder. Then place in a contai

A Civil War Recipe..... Oatmeal Pie

Princess came home with an assignment to to a Civil War project. There were several options but she and I always gravitate to the ones that involve cooking. So we chose to make a recipe from the Civil War time to share with her class. Can I just say how grateful I am for the internet when it comes to these school projects? We looked online and found many different recipes. I wanted one that used ingredients I already had on hand and hopefully one that would be a bit tasty. I finally found a forum where people were sharing Civil War recipes and someone had shared one for Oatmeal Pie from Charleston, South Carolina. Apparently, during the Civil War, pecans were in short supply. So oatmeal was subbed for pecans to make a sort of mock pecan pie. This recipe is very tasty and really easy. It does remind me of a pecan pie, but at the same time a little reminiscent of an apple crisp because of the oatmeal and the cinnamon. Very delicious! I'm hoping her class really enjoys it. She said th