Monday, June 29, 2009

Sweet Tea vs. Soda

I was sitting here tonight enjoying my sweet tea and thinking about how much sugar I'm saving by drinking sweet tea instead of soda. I started to wonder how much sugar would be in a gallon of soda (or coke as every kind of soda is called down here in the south). So I started looking things up online. Let's take a look at it.

In my sweet tea, I use 1 and 1/3 cup of sugar for one gallon of tea. That's on the conservative end for southern sweet tea and I understand that. But I am trying to be aware of how much sugar I consume in my drinks.

I found out by visiting this page that regular coke has about 3.38oz of sugar in it for every 12 ounces. There's roughly 128 ounces of liquid in a gallon. So I counted 10 12oz cokes in a gallon. Which would be around 4.8 cups of sugar since a cup of sugar is equal to about 7oz dry measure. That's not exact math because I just used 120oz instead of 128. It would really be about 5 cups of sugar in a gallon of coke. Wow! I could hardly believe it! And to top it off, I feel pretty good that I can just use a cup and a third in my gallon of tea and that is just fine for us!

Now I will feel just a little less guilty when I drink sweet tea. I know it'd be better to drink just water but it's a hard habit to break for this southern lady!

11 comments:

That Girl said...

I love sweet tea too!

Jena said...

I like sweet tea, but unfortunately I am a Pepsi drinker. That is a habit I do need to break.

P.S. I am really glad you are back to blogging.

michelle said...

That's hilarious, because I've thought about it too. I'm addicting to sweet tea and finally starting making my own, so I didnt have to go to Sonic or McDonalds twice a day! HA. I actually put more sugar in mine that you do. I probably need to cut back!

jonathan said...

that is good news. other places online said it was pointless to go from soda to sweet tea sugar-wise. it's comforting to know that i'm doing a little bit of good by drinking homemade sweet tea and cutting back on sodas.

Anonymous said...

I'm not positive,but isn't there alot more sodium in sodas as well?? "They" say that if you cut down on soda, you would have a lot less bloated feeling.That alone makes me want to cut back. I LOVE my sweet tea though.Thankfully, I do like water as well,but I have to have something else besides that during the day.

melodygreen said...

Wow, that is good to know! I also recently cut back on sodas (sweet tea, too!) but wondered if tea was better than the sodas. We use a bit more sugar than you do -- about 1 1/2 cups per gallon (though I could probably do with less by now... I think others would balk). I'm glad to know that the other people in my family who love their sweet tea are still doing better than drinking sodas!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing the math and the research! I was wondering about that today. I know that tea itself is pretty good for our bodies (aside from minor staining on the teeth, but I'll take tea stains over soda deterioration any day!), and I also know that soda has much more caffiene, acids, and other such things. It's nice to know I'm cutting back so much on sugar as well!

PS: I like your blog; this is an amazing idea!

Anonymous said...

People just don't get it lol


You NEED sugar EVERY single day and Sweet tea you put SUGAR straight from the cane into. In soda there is corn syrup citric acid and so many terrible things for you

Sweet tea is still 208420384092 times better for you then soda. Everyone always tells you to cut out sugars bad sugars is what you need to cut out. Ignorance on the internet is hard to weed through

Anonymous said...

I like sweet tea as well. I use about 1 3/4 C. to 2 C. of sugar in mine. Now I don't feel guilty. Because according to your math I am still taking in less sugar by over half. I also drink a lot of soda and am trying to cut way back on it and hope tea would be a good replacement. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

mc donalds puts 4lbs sugar in each container of brewed sweet tea ( the silver container you get it from) Which i think is 4 or 5 gallons

Terra said...

My family is just at the beginning of the "giving-up-soda" journey. I have been addicted to Coca-Cola for years. (I'm sure it gets part of the credit for getting me through nursing school! LOL) Today, my daughter & I were talking about whether sweet tea (mine's made with 2C of sugar/gallon) is better than the sugary sodas. Thanks for doing the math for me!